Jonathon and I decided a few weeks back that we thought socialization was important for Sam, even at his age, and opted to send him to Kids Day Out one day/week at Bartlett United Methodist Church. While KDO has been wonderful for Sam and we’ve noticed many positive social changes as a result of his spending time with other babies, we knew that he would also acquire some new germs and that his little immune system might be on the weaker side at first.
I enjoyed a Girls Night Out with friends on Friday after Sam went to bed for the night and had planned to take him to our first Kindermusik class early Saturday morning. Those plans were quickly placed on hold when our little angel woke up a bit fussy. We took his temperature and noticed it was slightly over 100, but did not get alarmed since (1) Sam is currently teething and we just saw his fourth tooth (and second in front on top) pushing through late last week and (2) Jonathon and I, along with our families, had both been battling a 12 hour stomach bug last week and we thought Sam may have acquired a touch. After alternating Tylenol and Motrin as we have done in the past to get his fever down, we scheduled a Saturday morning Pediatrician appointment. We ended up canceling the appointment when little Sam began laughing and playing like always, thinking maybe the fever was related to teething. He continued to drink all of his bottles as normal, and even enjoyed some solid food. He also slept fairly well. The hours passed on Saturday and Sunday and Sam continued to be a little bit fussy, but nothing too far outside of the norm. On Sunday evening, his fever spiked to 103 and we decided to take him to LeBohneur Urgent Care. They gave him a little gown since the PJs we brought him in were getting a little hot as his temperature was elevated. I know I’m biased, but I thought he was so darling, as always, even sick and in hospital attire. :-)

Boy, were we glad we made the trip! Sweet Sam had fluid behind both ears and his right was infected. :-( We were sent home with a prescription for an antibiotic and instructions to continue pushing fluids. Daddy made sure to ask for “bubble gum” flavoring in Sam’s medicine when he picked it up. How sweet is that?!?
I had prepared myself for screams when Sam laid down to sleep, incessant ear tugging and extreme irritability with our first ear infection. Little did I know that Sam would remain his happy, playful self, even with a 103 degree fever! I guess our little boy is going to be a tough cookie when he’s sick and may not always let Mommy and Daddy know when something hurts. Either that or he is already exercising his precocious side and keeping us guessing! Here’s hoping sweet Sam begins to feel better very soon, specifically mid-week when Daddy will be traveling on business and Mommy will be tackling a few days solo. :-)
PS- I know there are several “emoticons” in this post… I type just as I think and speak! :-) <----- (one more)



Of course you're biased- you're his Mama, you're supposed to be! But, I must say, that is just about the cutest baby-in-a-hospital-gown I've ever seen! Hope he's feeling better!
ReplyDelete