- Three whole teeth (including one on top and another poking through). We thought Sam may actually have both front teeth by Christmas, just like the song! He made it through with just 3 and looks simply adorable.
- Pulling up on EVERYTHING! Sam is a little daredevil when it comes to trying new things, and we’re all pretty sure he will be walking before we can blink. He loves to stand at his music table while clapping and balancing with no hands and will stand and hold on to anything he can find.
- Eating more and more table food and pushing away baby food. Sam has completely rejected eating baby food from a spoon for the last week or two, and we’re thinking our Gerber days are numbered. He’s much more interested in any and everything he can eat himself. Some of his favorites are: bananas (just like always- little monkey!), mac and cheese and sweet peas. He also LOVES any and every form of bread (we’re calling him a “little carboholic”) and would completely gorge on whole grain English muffin, Nutrigrain bars, mini pancake and Gerber puffs if we’d let him. :-)) Sam also drinks lots and lots of water from his straw sippy cup and has only tried juice twice. He didn’t love it as much as we thought he would (made a sour face) and we’re secretly a little glad. Water is so good for him and he has many many years ahead to enjoy juice!
- Patty caking. Grammy worked extra hard with Sam so that he learned it and he just lights up when he does it! He also loves to bend his knees and “dance” whenever he hears music. One of his cutest moments to date happened a few mornings ago when Daddy asked Sam if he wanted some pancake and Sam started to patty cake. He thinks the words are one in the same! Adorable!!
- Talking more and more and saying “MAMA!” As you can probably guess, I’ve been doing some extra special coaching with my sweet boy to help him say this word. :-) Of course, most babies usually say “Dada” first and Jonathon and I got uber competitive (as we are about everything) with which Sam would learn first. So proud to share that in addition to occasionally saying, “hi”, “bye”, and “ba” for bottle, Sam is now saying “MAMA!” I think my heart might have actually stopped beating the first time I heard it. There really is no sweeter sound in the world than that darling voice and word! I don’t think he has quite connected that the word and me are related, but I know he’ll be there soon.
- Staying with a non-family member for the first time. On 1/7, Sam started his first day of Kids Day Out at Bartlett United Methodist Church. He will be going for a few hours just one day a week. His first day was a tough one, but his teachers commented on how wonderful he was and how they just knew he would adjust well. Jonathon and I feel it is important for Sam to socialize with other babies and spend time learning new things in a public place. We are excited to see how he will learn and grow watching the other sweet little babies in his class and have already noticed him talking more and playing more independently after attending.
Sam’s first Christmas was an amazing one. When I think of how to describe it, I think “magical” is the best word. Seeing Christmas through the eyes of a baby has given us and all family members even brighter sparkles in our eyes and has enveloped us with an unspeakable amount of joy.
We began celebrating for Christmas on Saturday the 18th by celebrating at Nanny’s (Jonathon’s Grandmother and Sam’s Great Grandmother) that afternoon. Sam was an absolute doll and just loved opening his gifts and hamming it up for his aunts, uncles and cousins! He opened lots of wonderful toys and clothes, including a Fisher Price Nursery Rhyme Storybook that plays music and sings nursery rhymes. He just loves to clap and dance to it!
Christmas Eve was special for us as Sam and I started a new tradition and baked a cake (mini cupcakes this year) for Jesus’ birthday. I want Sam to always remember and value the true meaning of Christmas, and I hope this is something fun we can do together while he’s little to help remind him.
Mommy cooked a couple of other things and we headed to Grammy’s for gift opening with my family. Sam got a brand new 2-seater Radio Flyer wagon and Grammy even gave him the “My Buddy” doll that I gave to my Grandaddy (who was my buddy) many many years ago. Buddy rode in the wagon around the house with Sam and he had lots of fun.
Sam was a little fussy that night since the festivities coincided with his bedtime, and he napped a bit while we did the remainder of the opening. One of the most special gifts I received that night was from my Mom. She took Sam to Paint a Piece and made me a special first Christmas ornament with his little handprint. Mom let me know that this would be a special tradition from now on and that Sam would choose an ornament for me every Christmas. She said that “even when he’s in college and broke, he will still be able to carry on this tradition for his Mama.” So wonderful and special!
Jonathon and I headed home to get ready for Santa’s impending arrival and had so much fun getting everything just perfect. Santa had requested some homemade chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk, and I made sure those were waiting for him. :-)
We decided to invite Sam’s Grandparents over for his first Christmas morning. Before they arrived, Mommy and Daddy went to get Sam from his crib and captured his reaction to the toys Santa left…
Sam loved his Radio Flyer Rocket riding toy and Baby iPhone the best.
After getting through all of the opening (Santa wrapped most everything since Sam LOVES paper), Mommy served a small breakfast for everyone that we enjoyed together. We all had matching PJs for the occasion (check out our family pic by the Christmas tree)…
We then headed to Mimi and Pops’ house after Sam’s morning nap where Sam was spoiled once again with a TON of toys, clothes and books. Sam’s favorite gift at Mimi and Pops’ was a Thomas the Train Ride On Toy that he didn’t want to hop off of.

We got to visit with Grandad (my Dad) Christmas night and Sam was such a good boy, even after such a long and eventful day.
Mommy and Daddy both enjoyed several days off (I was on vacation 12/22-1/3 and Jonathon was off for several days as well) and spent lots of time enjoying Sam and just being together. Jonathon was also able to get Lasik surgery on 12/27 and recovered very quickly. He is so excited to now have 20/15 vision and never need glasses again! One of the most fun days Sam and I had was on 12/30 at The Children's Museum's New Years at Noon celebration. The museum was transformed into a mini Times Square, and they even held a countdown til Noon with a ball drop for little ones. Sam absolutely loved the museum! His favorite part was the real police car (he loved the lights). We will definitely be visiting many more times as he gets older and can enjoy more of the activities.
Jonathon and I enjoyed ringing in 2011 with wonderful friends and didn't turn in for the night until (GASP) 4am! The first part of 2011 has been so happy and joyful for our little family as we count our blessings and get excited about what the future will bring.
I can’t help but look back on 2010 and feel extremely overjoyed with all we’ve experienced welcoming Sam to the world in March and watching him grow. Becoming a Mother is by far the most wonderful gift I’ve ever been given and has brought my life a new, joyful meaning and purpose. Motherhood has also taught me so much about myself and I could have never imagined how much it would change and positively affect my priorities, sacrifices and desires. I am so thankful for God’s continued willingness to bless and teach both Jonathon and me as we strive to be the most amazing parents possible to Sam. I know 2011 will also be full of blessings and memories, and I am eager and prayerful for what God has in store. May God’s love and goodness surround you and your family in 2011!



No comments:
Post a Comment