Two Weeks Down / Daddy's Birthday

Sam is TWO WEEKS OLD TODAY!!!

Check out his mini photo shoot during Week One...



What a crazy, fun, memorable first two weeks of his life we've had. Mommy, Daddy and Sam have settled into somewhat of a routine and have all enjoyed bonding with one another. Thankfully, Mimi and Grammy have been able to come over some during the days and nights to help Mommy and Daddy take some longer cat naps. In fact, Grammy is in the kitchen now whipping up a delicious home-cooked meal while Sam naps. Sleep is a thing of the past as we knew it would be and we love and cherish every minute we spend with sweet little Sam. He seems to be changing by the minute... opening his eyes more, looking around and spending more time awake and discovering his surroundings.


Sometimes I am feeding him and just stare at him in amazement of what a gorgeous creature God gave me. I have never felt "my cup run over" more than it is during these moments. I've also never felt closer to Jonathon. He is such a loving, supportive, hands-on dad. I don't know what I would do without his support. It melts my heart to watch him with Sam. He is such an incredible father and what I always prayed for in a husband.


A quick update on how breastfeeding has been going these past couple of weeks...
When I made the decision to breastfeed Sam if I could, I knew it would require hard work and persistence. It has turned out to be one of the most challenging and rewarding things I have ever set out to do. No one in my immediate family has ever been successful at breastfeeding their children and the concept has all been new to me. I am constantly reading and talking to friends about what works and the specific challenges I'm having. It is so hard not to worry 24/7, and I know this worry is just part of being a new mother. I'm definitely not expecting it to go away anytime soon! What I know is that the first couple of weeks a new mom spends breastfeeding are challenging for EVERYONE across the board. Our pediatrician feels that Sam is gaining back to his birthweight a tad slowly, but is perfectly healthy and doing well nursing. We have been supplementing some with pumped breastmilk in bottles and Sam has not had any problems with nipple confusion. I am constantly worried about whether he is getting enough to eat and how much weight he is gaining. We will go back to the pediatrician for our official two week check-up on Thursday, 3/25 and I will definitely feel relief if Sam is at or close to his birthweight when he is weighed. I just need some reassurance that all of this hard work and diligence is paying off! I know about the many benefits of breastfeeding and I hope for Sam that I am doing it successfully and can continue it for as long as he needs it.

PRODUCTS:
I will do my best to recommend baby products that have been especially helpful for us for those new mommies who read our blog. A few that have come in especially handy these first couple of weeks are:

1. Itzbeen- Recommended by someone on a message board I have followed through my pregnancy and a MUST for any breastfeeding mom. Getting up every couple of hours to feed makes it challenging to remember how long it's been between feedings, changings, naps and even which breast you nursed on last. I wouldn't have made it through Sam's first two weeks without this!


2. Dr. Brown's Microwave Sterilizer- Between feeding, pumping and occasional bottle use, who has time to wait for a full dishwasher load each time you need to sterilize something? This sterilizer has been our lifesaver. We just throw all of the pieces in and sterilize for 5 minutes in the microwave. So wonderful.


3. Gowns- Sam has lived in the little gowns we had ready for him over the last two weeks. They make diaper changes so easy and he just looks adorable in them. I would recommend anyone with a new baby invest in lots of these for the first few weeks. They are such a help. These Spasilk gowns have been our favorites for Sam.


4. Swaddle blankets- Whoever invented these is a GENIUS! Sam loves to be swaddled. We have gotten great use out of the Halo Sleep Sack (gift from Aunt Sara Beth) and also the Summer Infant swaddle blankets. The blue one with the sports theme is Daddy's favorite. :-)



Yesterday was Daddy's 27th birthday! Obviously, it was a little tough to get out of the house to celebrate. Mommy was able to order some great gifts for daddy online (Alabama National Championship gift set from Sports Illustrated, new clothes) and Sam also got daddy some great things... A DVD for Daddy to teach him about all of the great Crimson Tide athletic traditions and some Braves onesies so that they can enjoy Baseball Opening Day together.


Mommy was able to get a great steak take-out dinner and a yummy ice cream cake for Daddy as well. YUM YUM! The evening of celebration was spent bonding together and an attempt to watch Dancing With The Stars for the first time. We were not big fans! These are the exciting lives we now lead and we wouldn't have it any other way. :-)


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MOST AMAZING HUSBAND AND DAD WE COULD ASK FOR! WE LOVE YOU!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren! I was just reading through your blog, Sam is so precious! I just wanted to say "You Can Do It!" in regards to breastfeeding! I breastfed Carson until he was about a year old and it was so hard at first but I am so glad that I stuck with it. I am proud of you and let me know if you need any advice/words of encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete