Our Growing Boy

Sam is 5 weeks old and growing and changing so fast. He is now starting to make lots of noises (mostly "goos" and "gahs") and now follows Daddy and Mommy with his eyes. He still loves books and also loves to watch the ceiling fan and other moving objects. He still sits with those precious feet crossed when eating, sleeping, and just relaxing with Mom and Dad! Isn't it the cutest thing??

Sam also loves to hear singing. Of course Mommy has done lots of singing but Grammy and even Daddy join in, too. Mommy caught Daddy singing "Deck The Halls" the other day. When asked why he was singing a Christmas song in April, he answered that he "didn't know any lullabies." HAHA!! Sam's umbilical cord stump FINALLY fell off today! We were getting a little worried it would never happen and the pediatrician convinced us it was not infected and totally normal for some babies to take longer getting rid of it. We were so excited to finally see Sam's sweet little belly button!

New motherhood has been full of so much joy along with learning experiences. Mommy spent that afternoon worried about a plugged duct caused by overproduction of milk while breastfeeding. I was in so much pain! After consulting the Internet for some remedies to bring on relief, I found a suggestion to put rice in a sock, heat it in the microwave and apply to the area to allow milk to flow more freely. Desperate to remedy the problem and get rid of the pain, I did this. The only problem was that the sock had a hole in it and I did not discover it until AFTER I poured the rice in and heated it. I spent the next 30 minutes cleaning rice from my bra, the chair I was in, and the floor beneath me. I'm sure this won't be the last of my funny parenting moments!!

Life really changes when you become a mother! Everyone tried to tell me how much it would change but I needed to experience it myself to fully understand. On this day before I became a mom I would have been at the office, probably in a meeting or strategizing on how to raise lots of money for the precious kids at St. Jude. Today I spent the afternoon worried about a body part and cleaning up rice. And I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

Thank you God for allowing me to experience motherhood! I can't wait for the hilarious moments to come. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I have never heard of a little stump lasting so long. Stella lost her's the first week home. I guess I didn't know how long they were supposed to hang around. How much alcohol did you go through doctoring that little belly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A TON! We were swabbing it every diaper change and then the pediatrician told us to move to once a day. It took FOREVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete