I am staying true to my promise to share more of what's cooking in the Lemmons' kitchen! Tonight, I prepared a tried and true favorite of my husband and a must-have recipe for any Southern girl cook- Poppyseed Chicken. This dish is easy and always a hit for guests. My favorite Poppyseed Chicken recipe comes from my Puffy Muffin cookbook entitled Memories in the Making. The Puffy Muffin is a restaurant/bakery outside of Nashville in Brentwood. Their quiches, salads and desserts are all fabulous. My mom purchased a cookbook from the restaurant and was always telling me about the great recipes inside. I was able to purchase a copy of my own online and it has become one of my favorite cookbooks!
Poppyseed Chicken
2 cups Chicken, cooked, shredded or cubed
1 cup Sour Cream (I use light sour cream)
2 10 3/4 oz. cans Cream of Chicken soup, undiluted (can use low sodium version)
1 Tbl. Poppy Seeds
12 to 15 Ritz crackers, crumbled
1/2 to 1 stick Butter, melted (can also substitute her for a healthier option)
Rice, prepared
Combine the first four ingredients and pour into a greased 9" Pyrex dish. Sprinkle the cracker crumbs over the top and pour the butter over the crumbs. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until bubbly. Allow the casserole to set for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve over rice.
Since I was already boiling chicken, I decided to make some Puffy Muffin chicken salad for our lunches this week. Their chicken salad recipe is also easy and delicious!
Puffy Muffin Chicken Salad
2 cups Chicken Tenders (I boil boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1/2 cup Celery, finely chopped
1/2 to 2/3 cup Grapes, halved (I use seedless red)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 to 2/3 cup Mayonnaise (can use low-fat version)
Once chicken in boiled, pull (don't cut) the chicken into pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Add the celery, grapes, salt and pepper. Mix slightly. Stir in the mayonnaise. Adjust the flavor by adding more salt and pepper and adjust the consistency with more mayonnaise according to taste.
*This dish would also be great with pecans or almonds which I am thinking about adding next time I make it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Hi Lauren,
ReplyDeleteLoving the recipes. I really enjoy keeping up with your little family. Sam is SO cute! I make a slightly different variation of poppy seed chicken, but I'll have to try this one! I thought you might like to know about a sub for "cream of" soups. It's great if you don't have a can on hand and it doesn't taste as "processed".
3 T butter
3 T flour
1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter on med-low, stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth.
Remove from heat and add broth and milk gradually; stir to keep smooth. Return to heat, bring to a gentle boil, and cook until thickened.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
This replaces one can of soup.
Hope you guys are doing well!
Rebecca Holley Ary
Thank you, Rebecca! Love the soup substitution and may try it out for some other things as well. I love Southern recipes but don't always love adding in processed, fattening foods. One of my grandmother's favorite cookbooks has a recipe that calls for "a 79 cent bag of corn chips." HAHA!
ReplyDeleteWow! Gotta love that. I love looking through the old ones and asking my mom "what the heck are they talking about?" I swear condensed soup must have been a new thing because they put it in EVERYTHING!
ReplyDeleteIt's almost like a time capsule. You can start to see where food went wrong, when corners started to be cut, and healthy food went out the window.