Buddy

"Buddy" is a special word to us.

My Grandaddy Tolbert Willis was so special to me. He passed away when I was in 8th grade and I still miss him every day. We had a bond unlike any other (I like to think I was his favorite of all 8 grandchildren even though we all thought we were his favorite). The first time he saw me after I was born, he told my mom I looked like a "little rosebud." From that day on, he called me "rosebud" and "his buddy" interchangeably. In fact, he called me his buddy enough that I gave him a "My Buddy" doll like this one when I was a little girl.

He kept and treasured it until the day he passed away when he made a special note in his will to make sure the doll was given to me after he went to heaven. Now Grammy has it in safe keeping so that Sam can play with it one day!

The day I told my Mom we were having a boy, she let me know that she would continue the "buddy" tradition and that Sam was going to be her "little buddy." From that day on, the nickname has stuck. The first words Mommy said when she saw Sam were, "Hey, Buddy!" Now Sam carries around his precious little elephant blankie that comforts him while teething. Jonathon and I were trying to think of a more boy-appropriate name for the blanket than the usual "lovie." So, we are now calling it his "buddy!" Here is a pic of our little buddy hanging out on Mimi's couch and snuggling with his "buddy." :-)

2 comments:

  1. ok soooo TEARS! Good thing I am at home lol! That is very sweet I was very cose to my grandfather aka "pompom" when I was younger too. Who kew Id be a cheerleader haha. To bad its not more masculine or we could tie it in too. Very sweet post :)And Sam is sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cassie! And you could definitely tie in "pompom" if the next one is a little girl!

    ReplyDelete