Thoughts Of A Working Mom

Being a working mom is challenging in so many ways. From the constant balance of time and priorities to conflicting emotions, this new lifestyle has taken some getting used to for me. What I am SO thankful for is that Sam has so many family members who love him and take care of him when Jonathon and I can't be there. What a tremendous blessing! Grammy has been keeping him since I've been back and now Mimi is keeping him some during the Summer while she has a break from teaching. All grandparents live within a 10 mile radius. We could not be more thrilled that Sam has so much love around! We know he is so loved and well taken care of when he is in the care of family.

Like most working moms, I often feel torn between home and my job. I have settled into a great routine, but feel like I am still trying to figure out the appropriate balance and I know that will come with time. I stumbled upon this poem on another blog online and it really hit home with me. I think it will resonate with other working moms who read our family blog as well...

Working Mommy
by Sarah Amick
Feels the guilt as she's driving away
Her thoughts are divided:
One listens attentively to the business at hand;
The other wanders to where she left her heart.
She values small qualitative moments
while juggling the motion of her world
Her hands are never idle.
This mommy organizes every minute of her day
never a down time, her world is always
time on task- always motion
Her heart is always drawn between
her dreams, goals, and responsibilities
The world of self, and selfless
She is always the last on her agenda
Always putting herself to the bottom
She is needed
Her list is full
She will make herself matter...
Tomorrow

What I am absolutely sure of and know without a doubt is that I am a better Mommy to Sam because I do go to work. My job energizes me and fuels me with the passion I need for the other facets of my life. The evenings and weekends I do spend with my precious baby boy are so meaningful and special. It also helps to have a loving, patient, wonderful husband who loves to spend time with and take care of Sam just as much as I do. I know there will be hard moments ahead as I continue to balance my work and life, but thank God for all of my blessings every day. I am a person who believes you CAN have it all and you CAN do it all well... a family, a career and whatever other dreams you wish to pursue. Daily, I pray for the strength to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment