Memorial Day Recipes

My Mom asked me to bring an appetizer and side to go along with cookout food on Memorial Day. I thought I’d share recipes of the dishes I brought (both Paula Deen)- one a tried and true favorite of ours and the other a first timer that I’ll definitely make again!

South of the Border Mason-Dixon Dip
Always a favorite during football season and anytime an appetizer is needed at our house. Easiest dip in the world to make!
Ingredients:
Chili (1 15 oz. can)
Cream cheese, softened (2 8 oz. packages)
Grated sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
Green onion tops (3)
Preheat oven to 350. Heat chili over medium heat for 5 minutes. Press softened cream cheese into the bottom of a 1.5 quart casserole dish. Pour chili over cream cheese, sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top. Bake for about 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven, top with chopped green onions. Serve immediately with corn/tortilla chips (I prefer Fritos).

Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Cool, Summery dessert that can be made in low calorie form and would also be great to serve around the Holidays. Also looks very pretty in a clear dish. Loved it!
Crushed pretzels (2 cups)
Melted butter (3/4 cup)
Sugar (3 T plus ¾ cup)
Cream cheese (1 8oz. package)
Whipped topping (1 8oz. container)
Strawberry gelatin dessert mix (2 3 oz. packages)
Boiling water (2 cups)
Frozen sliced strawberries (2 10 oz. packages)
Crushed pineapple (1 8 oz. can)
Whipped topping or whipped cream to garnish

Preheat oven to 400. For the crust, mix the pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Press this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch pan and bake for 7 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar (I used my stand mixer). Fold in the whipped topping, and spread over the cooled crust.. Refrigerate until well chilled. In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, and allow to cool slightly. Add the strawberries and pineapple, and pour over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate until serving time. To serve, cut slices and serve with a dollop of whipped topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment