O Christmas Tree!

Planning for our first holiday season as parents has been more fun than we could have ever imagined. Jonathon and I have loved thinking about what Santa should bring Baby Sam and what traditions we will start with our little family, now 3 (oops 5... always leaving out Ella and Addie- love you girls!). I’d like to spend some time over the next few days/weeks blogging about our holiday planning and excitement to share it with you and your family and hopefully generate some fun new ideas.

One thing I have been thinking a great deal about redesigning our Christmas tree. The tree and ornaments we have now we’ve had for several years. We actually found everything as an engaged couple on December 26, 2005 knowing we would hopefully have a home to put it in by the following Christmas. We were a young pair on a budget and considered ourselves very smart for buying everything half price. :-) Now that I’ve had the opportunity to think about what I really want our tree to look like, I’ve come to the conclusion that I want it to be somewhat elegant, but to also represent our family. This will include homemade ornaments and ornaments Jonathon and I collect of all of the trips we’ve taken together. It will also include our many Bama football ornaments and special St. Jude patient art-inspired ornaments I’ve collected over the past almost 6 years in my career as a fundraiser. I’m thinking a tall, prelit artificial tree (it’s just easier!) with white lights and all gold, silver and white ornaments (excluding the ornaments special to our family that I previously mentioned). The trees below have provided some great inspiration for what I have in mind…

Family Giving Tree- Pottery Barn (If only all of my gifts were wrapped that beautifully…)

Country Living Magazine (no way our home would ever look that pristine with a bouncing little rascal and two playful pups but the tree itself is gorgeous!)

HGTV website (not crazy about the huge bow on top but love the overall clean, traditional look.)

We’ve decided to wait to redesign our tree until, you guessed it, December 26, 2010. :-) Our family tradition of buying everything on sale will continue. So, our young married couple tree will stay around for one more year and we will be enjoying our revamped tree Christmas 2011. The tree will look a little different with a baby gate surrounding it this year. Our little monkey is not going to be able to stay away from the lights and sparkles!

We will of course be adding some new ornaments before then, including some special ones to commemorate Baby Sam’s FIRST CHRISTMAS! Love this handprint one from Pottery Barn Kids… Sam’s chubby little hand will look adorable in that plaster!

Do you and your family enjoy a special kind of Christmas tree and unique ornaments?

2 comments:

  1. We got Cooper's hands and feet done in plaster last year and so did both sets of grandparents (can you tell he's the first grandchild on both sides?). We have ornaments from all the places we've traveled as well and some of mine from when I was little.

    My dad is a perfectionist, just like his dad, when it comes to decorating the tree. That gene has been passed to me, so I guess our big tradition is me obsessing over the tree looking perfect. Ornaments cannot touch the branch underneath it, they have to be evenly spaced, and on and on...lights were another issue completely, but we got a pre-lit tree last year, so that took away some of the headache.

    Christmas takes on a whole new meaning with a little one. Cooper was only 2 months old last year, but it was so much fun. You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the footprint idea! We may try it!

    Also love the tree perfection. Jonathon is that way, too!

    I am already so geared up for the holidays (as you can see) and just have a new sparkle in my eye this year with Sam here to experience it all.

    It was wonderful running into you at lunch earlier this week!

    ReplyDelete